Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Brownie Race-Class

While I aim to cut down on "human" classes, I really don't have much of a problem with race-classes in my Skype campaign. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's that humans have, so far, usually been a significant portion of the PC party. Maybe it's the experimental nature of this particular campaign.

This is the first race-class that I wrote, slightly touched up. I wrote it for a player whom I introduced to pen-and-paper roleplaying and who introduced me to free-form forum-based roleplaying. She wanted to play a brownie so I borrowed heavily from Trollsmyth's pixie class and came up with this:

Brownie
Prime Attribute: Dexterity
Dit Dice: 1d4-1
Saving Throw: 14
Weapons Allowed: Brownie-sized
Armor: None
Shield: None

Brownie weapons do 1d2 damage single-handed and 1d4 damage two-handed. Their AC is modified by +2 against all enemies larger than a kobold and by +4 against enemies larger than a human.

Brownies can see in the dark up to 30 meters away.

Brownies are inherently magical beings and get a +4 modifier to any saving throws against magic. They may cast referee-approved spells with the alternate magic system in Green Devil Face #4.

Brownies can sneak or hide on a roll of 8 or less on a d12. In addition, they can become invisible three times a day, remaining invisible, unless they engage in combat, for as long as they wish.

Unfortunately, this player is no longer playing with us due to scheduling issues. She played a brownie named Biddy who had a large copper pot thanks to the 100 item list her player rolled on at during chargen. Biddy would lug that around and spend most combats under it, invisible, which might have something to do with why I didn't think that letting her turn invisible three times a day overpowered her at all. She used the invisibility to scout ahead for the party, and also to moon a cult's altar in an attempt to defile it without being seen by the rest of the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment