Friday, June 3, 2011

Post-Session Thoughts

Ran a game tonight. It's been a while. I was starting to feel bad about this whole blogging-but-not-gaming thing, so this makes me feel better.

Before we got down to gaming, two of my players were doing inventory and buying stuff. One of the PCs has a houseboat and they talked about storing another PC's oil in there when he wasn't tossing it at monsters. That got me thinking about what would happen if, say, pirates attacked Haldane and the PCs fired the houseboat and sent it at the pirate fleet, a la Spanish Armada.

So here's an un-tested thought: giving XP for copying historical situations. Now, this would probably appeal especially to those gamers who actually have a strong history in wargaming, because they actually have a lot of specific battles they can think of off the top of their heads that they can borrow tactics from. If I were playing with a bunch of wargamers, and if I had that kind of background myself, I probably would implement this rule. As it stands, I don't know if more than one of my players has enough historical knowledge to take advantage of this, and I don't really think I do either. Oh, well. Maybe when I'm a teacher I can add wargames to the list of things I want to do with my students to build rapport.

Speaking of which, I hope to be teaching in just over a year, and I want to start a roleplaying club for the kids at whatever school I'm teaching at. I suppose it might actually be a good idea to include wargaming in the club, as I don't think I've ever heard anyone call Diplomacy or Kriegspiel "Satan's Game." That might actually be the best way to start the club: with a game of Diplomacy with a turn a day.

Thoughts?