Sunday, April 24, 2011

Calling All Grognardlings!

So, almost a month ago, Bob at Cyclopeatron spotlighted my blog as an example of, well, a grognardling. That felt really awesome, but I couldn't help feel that I was getting a disproportionate amount of attention just because I had a mini-manifesto over on the right. I've been trying to figure out how to give a similar boost to other grognardlings. I don't have nearly the readership of Cyclopeatron, nor do I do enough browsing of newer blogs to be able to highlight new blogs like Cyclopeatron did for me.

After toying with other ideas, I hit on this: I'll populate my blog roll entirely with other blogs whose authors self-identify as grognardlings. If you read the description of "grognardling" on the right and think you qualify, if you have a blog and if you want to be added, let me know in the comments and I'll add you. If you know someone who you think qualifies, send them this way; I'd rather not add people without them self-identifying themselves as opposed to having someone else sign them up.

What's the point? Well, it's two-fold, I think. The first is to give grognardling blogs more exposure. Most blog rolls, mine included up until today, have the same big, really good blogs on them. There's nothing really bad about that- it helped me find those blogs when I first started lurking- but we could probably use more blog rolls that shine the spotlight on other blogs too. Some blog rolls do that by including huge amounts of blogs. I find that really daunting, though I've certainly found my way to new blogs through some of those huge blog rolls and I've also received traffic from them, so they absolutely are a good thing too. My aim is to tighten the focus of my blog roll compared to the huge blog rolls to just one theme: grognardlings.

The second point? Well, I figure if anyone wants to prove that there is a generation of us grognardlings out there, they can just point people to my blog roll, simple as that. This should put to rest any question of whether we exist or not, assuming anyone wants to sign up.